Skip to main content

My horror travel Experience - Jo'burg!


It was Mixed feelings, my flight had been booked and my meeting was set for two days ( although I would have liked  to have spent  a few more days to experience and explore)
So, It was my first time in South Africa and I had heard a lot of stories about its history and was eager to see all I could during my short stay
I arrived Johannesburg around 2am South-African time and was at time jet lagged and needed to get some rest
Walking throughb the terminal was like walking through in a  haze ….my legs were so heavy, it felt like I  dragged bricks along with me
Finally, I spotted my pick up driver holding the up a sign with my name on it. He was so kind to help carry my luggage
South Africa was well lit but I had heard from the driver that there what he called ” Load Sharing ” (Power outage) and there was always a media announcement if there was going be any outage of any sort( where I come from that felt  like they were pampered a lot!  LOL…but it was the right thing to do)
My cab driver took this really long stretch of roads that never seemed to end, I  found myself asking every few minutes or so if we had arrived our destination and his response was always a bland “No”
Finally we arrived Faircity Quatermain Hotel at 2:35pm
entrance
I  felt at home just from looking at it, this place is small compared to other hotels but makes you feel right  at home almost immediately
,quare- lobby2
This lush lobby leads you the rooms and other facilities at the boutique hotel
rooms2
This is what the regular room looks like
room3
Rooms overlook the swimming pool area and are located side by side,  I really don’t know how much sound filters through  whilst inside but the heater although a little old seemed to work fine
quatermain2
quatermain
If you aren’t shy to have people watch you, then it might just work great for you
 bathroombathroom2
I was really impressed when I saw how detailed the bathroom tiles where aligned  one beside the other. It was  nothing too fancy but very detailed
I really felt at home here….lets talk about the food and dining here, shall we
 dinning
outdoor dinning
Whether dining in or out,  the ambiance and serenity would blow you away…..the downside though is that there are less food choices/options
sa
cappacinno maker
The image above are some of the little things  that brightens your day…..a cup of cappuccino  served with lots of Love! putting that together might not be as simple as it looks
 You are also welcome to use the gym here whenever possible, I really don’t know if you can loose weight in one day…because if its possible then I must have lost a lot!
 gym 2gym
I’m sure I did because I had a 30minute session on each equipment you see in the image above, I’m not kidding….I lost track of time, those equipments became my friends for that part of the day (joking!)
Your room key allows you access to the gym room
This boutique hotel gives you value for your money, I’m sure there are other things you get to enjoy here……it’s something you’d have to discover in your own time whenever you visit Joburg
Well…..I also had time to visit other places, next stop was PARK-INN Sandton
parkinn
I and my team arrived here at 1:45pm, the architectural design reminds you of perhaps….what homes might look like in the future- very open, most of the materials seemed to be made from glass or transparent materials even the lamps on the night stand was made from a clear crystal material.
It was like something you’d find in Germany….
entrance parkinn lobby4 parkinn
The design is a beauty to behold but did service match? ……. My experience here was well……..
Unlike the first hotel, the staff here seemed very unfriendly and unwelcoming. It seemed most of the staff had a bad day everyday…no one was smiling!
room parkinnMy hotel room was small but functional
room parkinn 3
My first night here was okay but when I discovered later that night that I could not control the cooling unit from my room even though I had the controls I freaked out! calls put through to the front desk were unanswered umtil the afternoon of the next day…by that time I had caught a nasty flu
When the hotel staff  finally listened paid a little atention they  promised to have the situation fixed, It  was even more shocking when they didn’t  show up until the next day….my meetings were very interesting and the night life in Johannesburg is electric, other than that the hotel service was below average
dinning parkinn
Breakfast at Park Inn  was boring, it lacked variety and tasted  unappealingly bland, there was a  staff member  who stood out from the grumpy bunch,  her name was ROSE well it was actually Rosemary but she said it was considered two names where she lived and worked and so she had to split it in two…. And  comfortably settled for ROSE….she was Zambian and very helpful
bar
Really nice bar…but sometimes music gets really loud..bad choice because of its location. It’s right in the middle of dining and check-in
I never really got.to use the gym or swimming pool
these are some of the amenities provided by the hotel and some things you might want to try out if you inten to stay here
 gym parkinn pool2
I would strongly advise you take some time out to check reviews before you make any trip and make sure you are happy with the comments before booking a hotel
South Africa is a great place to visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your body count?

That was the question I was asked today...The evening was going quite well for me until it went from "This has gotta be the best night ever" to "Oh no he didn't!". My facial expression changed in that instant from a smile to outrage: it became glaring that this question was off-limits. I moved around uneasily in my seat; I began thinking about how best to address the situation without coming off as the 'Crazy b***h!'  Peter was a good friend, and oftentimes we would discuss random topics of interest and argue endlessly- they were resolved amicably each time but this one wasn't one of those.  I honestly don't know how we went from discussing random things to, "So, do you mind sharing how many people you have had sexual encounters with?" I was in shock for a few seconds, If I had been drinking at the time I would have choked on it and spat it out in shock! Why was this piece of information important, why would anyone want to know the numb

Let’s talk about grown-up stuff: Let’s talk S.E.X

It was 9: 45 pm and I was getting really bored watching the news, so I figured it was time to go to bed as I had an early start the next day,  I got into bed and decided to browse the internet for a bit. Social media is such an interesting place; I mean, you think you will be there for 10 mins and boom! It’s 2 am! That was exactly what happened to me. I was just about to force myself to sleep, then the phone rang,  it was my friend Bunmi “ Hello, Zee...are you awake?”  she asked  “ Yes, I am” I responded as I rolled my eyeballs; who did she think was speaking to, a robot? “I’m glad you are awake” she continued “ I am depressed”. That got me. I was now worried. It was past 2 am and I figured it must be something urgent. "Are you alright, is everything okay?” I asked hurriedly. “ Yes, well No” she continued “ It's just that I am getting really frustrated in this relationship” she added. She went back and forth about how she loved her man and how wonderful he was but she d

Hello, My Name is Doctor, Chief, Evangelist, Prince, Prophet John Doe

I got a WhatsApp message today......and it was not the usual. The recipient who was somewhat a client thought it was appropriate that everyone in the group chat knew he was not ordinary and so he made sure it sank in! “My name Doctor, Umezulora 1, Evangelist, Apostle......” This was how he would end every message. It may look like a joke to some of you but unfortunately it was something we all had to put up with. I had met this client a few days back and he seemed like an intelligent/warm individual but, what I could not understand was why he had to introduce himself using all his titles. It was funny at first, but I became worried afterwards. I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or pull my hair out in frustration. I looked around the room to see if anyone rolled their eyes every time he did that but it seemed the rest of the team were fine with it......so I thought. The  meeting ended in high notes, I gave a quick excuse as to why I had to leave early so I didn’t have to hear h